Barred subscribers besiege mobile network centers

Thousands of barred subscribers on Thursday besieged their network service centres across the country over the ban placed on their Subscriber Identity Modules (SIM) cards. About 10.7 million mobile lines have so far been barred due to cable oss issues like pre-registered SIM cards, poor biometric capturing of bad finger print information, facial distortions, among others.

A large number of subscribers complained about their inability to either make or receive calls and send text messages, expressing bitterness over the registration process and convergent billing lashed both the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and the network providers. According to an Etisalat customer, “I wanted to make call for supplies at a particular construction site and I heard a pre-recorded voice telling me that my business consulting line has been barred, that I should visit their call centre for more information.


I got here now and they told me that they could not find my registration details. “It will interest you to hear that I have been using this line since 2011 and when I got the line, I registered it at Victoria Island and about a month later I got a message from the same network that my line has been properly registered on the cable inventory planning. But see what is happening now,” she added.

A lawyer has threatened to sue the network for misleading information. He said: “I was one of MTN’s pioneer customers. I bought the SIM when it was original and fresh. I just came here to be sure they can fix the problem on time, at least by end of the day. If the consumer management lingers beyond today and tomorrow, I will sue the network.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *